Saturday, August 13, 2011

How do you deal with depression without support?

4 months ago, I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety and social anxiety disorder. My treatment consists of medication and therapy with a psychiatrist. I don't have any close friends, family or supportive people who are willing to support me. I will admit, my parents have done a lot to support me by taking me to a therapist and then a psychiatrist, then paying for my treatment and medication, but in the end, they really don't seem to care. My parents both tell me that 'my grades should be better now' and 'I should be making friends' now that I'm on medication and seeing a psychiatrist, but I explain that it's not that simple and my perscription keeps changing and my appointments rearranges, but they aren't convinced. Whenever I tell my father, he just says I'm getting a tutor, he tells me to stop making excuses and protesting like Ghandi and that "I can't use that as a crutch, everyone has a psychiatrist/ is depressed/ anxious." I feel even more hopeless knowing I don't have support.

No comments:

Post a Comment